The San Carlos de Bariloche area and its surroundings in the National Park Nahuel Huapi are ideal to do trekking.It counts innumerable landscapes and paths which includes mountain treks, treks to refuges, voyages between refuges and more prolonged trips with intermediate camps.
This area possesses mountain refuges. These are cabins with certain minimal and indispensable comforts: they possess comunal bedrooms, kitchen, lounge dining room and bathrooms.
You can get to these across paths and treks planned along the forests and mountains. Today seven refuges are working in Bariloche's surroundings, each one with particular characteristics and with different difficulty levels of accessibility.
Mountain Shelters (Refuges):
- • Otto Meiling. Cerro Tronador (2000 msnm)
• J J Neumeyer. Valle del Challhuaco. (1250 msnm)
• San Martín. Lago Jakob (1650 msnm)
• Emilio Frey. Cerro Catedral (1700 msnm)
• Manfredo Segré. Laguna Negra- Cerro Negro (1750 msnm)
• Berghoff. Cerro Otto. (1200 msnm)
• López. Cerro López (1620 msnm)
In addition, for those who prefer easier options, there are many paths where one can appreciate the forests and amazing panoramic views like: Cerro Llao Llao, sendero Fundación, Sendero al lago Escondido, Los Duendes cascade and treks at Cerro Otto among others.
The best time of the year for trekking is between November and April for the most favorable climatic conditions.